Federal Exchange Insurance Rates To Rise Sharply In Kansas

The federal government says insurance rates will increase by approximately 16 percent for Kansas residents who buy middle-of-the-road or “Silver” health coverage plans through the online marketplace.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released a report on Monday showing that Kansans who buy insurance through the federal online exchange will be saddled with one of the highest levels of rate increases in the nation. At least 38 other states will see a smaller increase than Kansas. The average rate increase in those other states is 7-1/2 percent.

Silver plans pay 70 percent of medical costs on average, leaving a 30 percent responsibility to the consumer.

HHS says about 96,000 Kansas residents enrolled in coverage for this year through the exchange which was created by the 2010 Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Which was promoted and promised to lower insurance rates, particularly for the middle-class, who are the most likely demographic to purchase a health care plan through the current federal exchange.

Enrollment for next year begins Nov. 1. HHS said many Kansas residents seeking coverage through the exchange are eligible for tax credits to offset the cost.