On Wednesday morning an obstruction came into the main Kansas Gas feed line to Smith Center. There were approximately 950 customers affected.
26 technicians from Kansas Gas Service worked to manually turn off all gas valves. Total shut down was estimated to be completed around 7:00 p.m. last night.
Once all gas was turned off, the Ks. Gas Company worked to restore gas and establish safety before assisting residents in turning their gas back on.
As of this morning, some residents are still without service. Some businesses are closed due to that fact as well.
DO NOT try to turn on your gas yourself. Kansas Gas Service will not charge for turning your gas service off or back on and relighting your appliances. NO OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE should be used.
A shelter was made available at Smith Center High School for anyone who did not have heat. Showers are available water if you wish to use the shower.
• All technicians will be wearing a Kansas safety vest, have a Kansas Gas ID and be driving a marked vehicle-Please 785-282-5180 if you have safety concerns
• Each residence will be visited by a technician when power can be restored
• If no one is home, each residence will have a hanging card left on the door and a technician will return at a later time
• Porch lights should be left on
• Pets should be secured while technician is working