These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board of Commissioners at their next meeting.
May 14, 2018 Unofficial
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 14, 2018 in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order by Chairman Dennis Henry leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Gary Scoby and Tim Burdiek, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Report:
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Dennis Ronnebaum advised the board that:
• a representative from Husker Steel came today to present Commissioners a bid to replace Bridge M-40 in the city limits of the City of Centralia. J.B. Holland, Centralia City Councilmember, was also present for this discussion. Husker Steel’s bid for materials for this bridge was in the amount of approximately $271,483. The bid for the labor on this bridge was in the amount of approximately $24,900. If a pedestrian walkway is to be added, it would cost an additional $41,000, which would include both materials and labor.
• he wanted the Commissioners’ opinion concerning Bridge G-2, which lies between sections 3 and 4 of Gilman Township. Following discussion, Dennis stated that for now he plans to close the bridge until a decision is made concerning whether or not to replace the bridge.
• the inspection company would like to take Bridge H-15 off of the fracture critical inspection cycle and move it to a 2-year inspection cycle.
• Coughlin Company is just about finished with the improvements to J Road south of Seneca.
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Report:
Noxious Weed/Emergency Preparedness Director Todd Swart advised the board that:
• the State Flood Plain Administrator has been in contact with him about issuing permits for the development of a wind farm in Nemaha County.
• he has also hired Kevin Shumaker as summer help for the Noxious Weed Department. Todd stated that Kevin will be starting work for the county on May 21st at a rate of pay of
$8.50 per hour.
DarlAnn Rial, Karen Holthaus, and Ray Thieme came before the board on behalf of the Nemaha County Historical Society to provide the annual update to the Board of Commissioners and to request continued financial support from Nemaha County for this organization.
Audrey Schremmer with Three Rivers, Inc. came before the board to provide the annual update to the Board of Commissioners and to request funding from Nemaha County in the amount of $18,000 for 2019.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. Brad let Commissioners know that the State Employee Health Plan Contract for 2019 – 2021 has minimal changes compared to our current contract. Brad discussed these changes with Commissioners. Brad also gave Commissioners an update concerning the next tax sale to be held in Nemaha County.
The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments to be paid at the middle of May.
The board reviewed the minutes from the May 7, 2018 meeting. Tim Burdiek moved to approve the minutes as presented. Gary Scoby seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye.
Gary Scoby moved to approve the State Employee Health Plan Contract Renewal for 2019-2021. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Dennis Henry signed the contract renewal as presented.
Gary Scoby moved to approve the bid from AHRS Construction, Inc. to add concrete pavement west of the Pioneer Building in the amount of $12,325. Tim Burdiek seconded the motion. The motion carried with all voting aye. Chairman Dennis Henry signed the bid as presented.
With no further county business coming before the board, Chairman Dennis Henry adjourned the meeting at 1:50 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, May 21, 2018 at 9:00 am.